logo - palazzo dei diamanti

About Us

Palazzo dei Diamanti is an exhibition space owned by the Municipality of Ferrara used for important exhibitions of international importance aimed at following the great historical-artistic tradition of the city.

The exhibitions are organized in collaboration with the Ferrara Arte Foundation, the Modern and Contemporary Art Galleries of Ferrara and the Cultural Activities Sector of the Municipality of Ferrara.

/ Fondazione Ferrara Arte

Ferrara Arte is a foundation that was created for the purpose of organizing exhibitions of international significance following in the city’s tradition as a centre of art and culture.

Their first show was in 1991-92 when, together with the Musée Marmottan, Ferrara Arte organized a retrospective of the works of Giovanni Boldini in Paris, which was followed by the exhibition Claude Monet e i suoi amici in Ferrara. Since then, Ferrara Arte has regularly organized exhibitions on a variety of themes: ancient art, European art from the 1400s to the 1900s, 20th century Italian art, and last but not least, great works of modern and contemporary Ferrarese painting. These exhibitions have captured the interest of critics and the public alike, making Palazzo dei Diamanti one of the most prestigious and most visited exhibition venues in Italy. Many thanks are owed to museums such as the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, the J. Paul Getty Museum in Los Angeles, The Yale Center for British Art, the Tate, the Nasjonalgalleriet in Oslo, the Museo Thyssen-Bornemisza in Madrid, the Musée des Beaux-Arts in Lyon, the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, the National Galleries of Scotland in Edinburgh, the Statens Museum for Kunst in Copenaghen, the Galleria Nazionale d’Arte Moderna in Rome, the MAMbo – Museo d’Arte Moderna in Bologna, the Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute in Williamstown and the Museo del Prado who have worked with Ferrara Arte in organizing these exhibitions. Equally important has been the contributions of numerous scholars who have curated exhibitions at Palazzo dei Diamanti, along with curators of public and private collections from all over the world who have generously loaned exceptional works of art from their collections.

Today Ferrara Arte continues to fulfill its mandate in identifying and organizing these significant exhibitions. The combined strength of the quality of their initiatives and their ability to attract audiences, their strong vocation to plan and realize these projects in collaboration with other museums and internationally recognized Italian and foreign scholars; their interest in exploring beyond the best known artists and movements, including delving into the past to reveal lesser known artists and movements, and finally, their ability for long term planning which is the seal that guarantees how seriously they undertake to achieve their goals.

Organigramma

Fondazione Ferrara Arte

Presidente
Vittorio Sgarbi

Consiglio di amministrazione
Arturo Artom
Davide Urban

Direttore
Pietro Di Natale

Conservatore e curatore
Vasilij Gusella
con la collaborazione di
Sara Dal Corso

Ufficio presidenza e direzione
Alessandra Cavallaroni

Architetto
Lucia Angelini 

Ufficio mostre
Ilaria Mosca

Ufficio editoriale
Francesca Gavioli
Rossella Merighi
Laura Quaggia

Ufficio stampa, comunicazione digitale e promozione
Andrea Forlani
Anja Rossi
Giulia Bratti

Libreria
Daniela Vacchi
Stefania Zaghi
Paolo Callegari
Jonata Mangherini

Ufficio amministrativo e gestionale
Barbara Rizzati
Patrizia Sandoli

Ufficio tecnico e sicurezza
Giuseppe Cestari
Luca Mondin

Ufficio informatico
Marco Zanirato

Custodia
Rita Berselli

Comune di Ferrara

Sindaco
Alan Fabbri

Assessore alla Cultura, ai Musei, ai Monumenti storici, alla Civiltà ferrarese, ai rapporti con l’Unesco
Marco Gulinelli

Dirigente del Servizio Musei d’Arte
Ethel Guidi

Relazioni Istituzionali e supporto attività gestionali
Anna Rosa Fava

Responsabile Unità Operativa Arte Moderna
Tiziana Giuberti

Conservatrice Gallerie d’Arte
Moderna e Contemporanea
Chiara Vorrasi
con la collaborazione di
Raffaele Campion

Coordinamento editoriale, comunicazione e promozione
Federica Sani

Segreteria Assessorato alla Cultura
Catia Iazzetta

Informazioni e prenotazioni
Federica Novelli
Silvia Affaticati
Cristina Lago
con la collaborazione di
Rosa Carnelos

Ufficio amministrativo
Cosetta Rimondi

Trasporti
Enrico Nigro

Supporto logistico
Paola Finchi

Ufficio stampa
Filippo Manvuller

/ Palazzo dei Diamanti

So called thanks to the very particular shape of the more than 8,500 blocks of marble that make up its rustication, the Palazzo dei Diamanti is one of the most famous Renaissance buildings in the world. Designed by Biagio Rossetti, the palace was built on behalf of Sigismondo d’Este, brother of Duke Ercole I d’Este, starting in 1493, and constitutes the ideal center of the so-called “Addizione Erculea”, a real doubling of the city which Rossetti conceived for the duke.

The building was purchased by the Municipality in 1832. On the ground floor there are the spaces used for important temporary exhibitions, organized by Ferrara Arte and by the Galleries of Modern and Contemporary Art of Ferrara, while on the first floor the building houses the Pinacoteca Nazionale di Ferrara, which preserves a historical-artistic collection of exceptional value.

/ History

1494

Some documents attest that the construction works of the building, designed by Biagio Rossetti, have already begun.

1496

The facade of the building is already decorated "with marble and diamonds".

1503

The completion of the building was entrusted to Cristoforo da Milano and Girolamo da Pasino, while the sculptures of the facade were commissioned to Gabriele Frisoni.

1559

The palace was inherited by Cardinal Luigi d'Este, second son of Duke Ercole II, who had the grand staircase and the roof of the large hall on the first floor built.

1586

The palace was inherited by Cardinal Luigi d'Este, second son of Duke Ercole II, who had the grand staircase and the roof of the large hall on the first floor built.

1598

The palace was inherited by Cardinal Luigi d'Este, second son of Duke Ercole II, who had the grand staircase and the roof of the large hall on the first floor built.

1641

The building was sold to the Marquis Villa, who commissioned some interventions, including the creation of the sculpted candelabra on the sides of the entrance.

1842

The Municipality of Ferrara bought the building in order to house the Art Gallery and the Civic University.

1944

A bombing seriously damaged the building. Several restoration campaigns followed after the war.